Saturday, June 6, 2015

Day 1: Tree Trimming and Ladders

Tree work is among the most dangerous jobs. Add a step ladder, which is dangerous on its own, and it could be life threatening. On Saturday, Dan was pruning a row of white pines on a step ladder.  As he was almost finished a branch kicked out and knocked him off the ladder.  The ladder went one way, and he went the other.  I was told that it looked like he did a somersault before hitting the ground flat on his back.  I am so grateful that he was wearing a helmet with a strap that went under his chin!!!


I was in NYC to see Wicked when I got a text, "Is Dan ok?" from Dan's sister.  I almost dismissed it because I thought she sent the text to the wrong person.  Five minutes until Wicked was going to start, and I decided to call anyway just to make sure.  So glad I did!

Of course, we left immediately for the ER.  That was the fastest drive home from NYC EVER, but felt like the LONGEST!!!!!  (And, it didn't help that I had to stop three times along the way to use the bathroom)!

Family and friends were calling me and texting me updates until I got there.  That was a real comfort.  One friend, who is a Physician's Assistant (thank you KJ!)  went to the ER to get as much info as she could.  She was able to tell me about Danny's injuries--she gave it to me straight--this is what we know so far--and it was all fixable!!!  "Fixable" was the word she used!!!  And, that word gave me so much comfort during the drive to the hospital.

God's Word gives us peace, "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and mind in Christ Jesus." (Phillipians 4:7).  I believe in the power of prayer and in God's Word.  Those two things got me through that car ride to the hospital!  I knew in my heart that God was in control of whatever happened, and that He would see us through whatever was next!

If you don't have peace like that in your own life, you CAN have it!!!  That peace only comes from knowing Jesus!!  I once heard each person has a "God-shaped hole" reserved just for God (don't know who said that--sorry), and it can only be filled by God.  We can try to fill it with family, career, hobbies, drugs, alcohol or even exercise!!  Nothing will satisfy it EXCEPT God!!!!  If you are seeking a "peace that transcends all understanding" especially in the midst of difficulty, please find somewhere private to go, ask Jesus for forgiveness.  Tell him you want to receive Him into your heart, and that you want His peace in your life.

Please check back soon--I will post updates on Danny as often as I can.
~Maria, Dan's Wife