Wednesday, June 10, 2015

June 10: Rib Retriever

When I went into Dan's room on the morning of the 10th, the first thing I noticed was most of his monitors were removed.  And, he was sleeping--finally!!!  He was so tired, but wouldn't or couldn't sleep.





If you look at his left hand, he's holding "Charlie."  He gave me "Charlie" when I was going on a trip without him.  So, I brought him to the hospital to offer a little comfort.

At one time during his ICU stay, he placed "Charlie" on his chest, and said this is my "Rib Retriever."



During another moment in the ICU, Danny had a death grip on my hand.  For a little relief, I put "Charlie" in his hand.

He would not let go of that little doggie!  Even rugged tree guys need a little comfort!!!



Milestones for today:

Sitting up in occupational chair for 2 hours.

Ate a few bites of solid food, and an entire fruit cup.

Smiled at his nurse.  Smiled while sleeping.

Chest tube was removed.  {PS--If a doctor ever tells you to count to 3, be ready on 2!!!}

Less loopy.  Seems more like himself.